The North Carolina beer scene is in for a sweet surprise as Fullsteam Brewery will be opening its doors to the public with the grand opening of the Tavern Room on Friday, August 13, in Durham. This vision of Fullsteam is to craft a year-round, sustainable, scalable, and distinctly Southern beer brewed 100% with local ingredients. To realize their vision, they have created two series of beer, the Plow to Pint Series and the Workers’ Compensation Series.
Plow to Pint Series
The Plow to Pint Series beers are crafted with Southern farmed ingredients, going local, seasonal, and organic whenever possible. This series will launch with three beers:
- Hogwash Hickory-Smoked Porter (5.5% ABV) – Malted barley is house-smoked over hickory wood, imparting a sweet, subtle smoke. Recommended pairings include North Carolina pulled pork, grilled meats, vegetables or tofu/seitan
- Carver Sweet Potato Amber (5.8% ABV) – As North Carolina is the largest U.S. producer of sweet potatoes, it seems an obvious choice to use in a beer and makes up 1/3 of the fermentables in Carver, a modestly-hopped Amber. Recommended pairings include fried or roasted chicken or a local cheese plate.
- Summer Basil Farmhouse Ale (5.4% ABV) – Summer Basil was brewed with wheat and twelve pounds of basil from Hillsborough’s Coon Rock Farm. “A refreshing thirst quencher that’s a lawnmower beer… if you mowed over your herb garden.” Recommended pairings include an all local BLT or marinated seafood salad.
Workers’ Compensation Series
The Workers’ Compensation Series is made up of session beers that are based on well-known traditional styles. This series will launch with two beers:
- Rocket Science IPA (6.5% ABV) – At 90 IBUs (International Bittering Units) this full-bodied and balanced IPA is made with Amarlilo and Centennial hops.
- El Toro Cream Ale (5.5% ABV) – Bending conventional craft beer guidelines, El Toro is a lager-like classic American cream ale brewed with Carolina roasted corn grits.
726 Rigsbee Avenue
Durham, NC 27701